June 18, 2019
The Wind Turbine Technician is responsible for the commissioning, maintenance, and operational support of wind turbines, test systems, and associated components. Analyze, troubleshoot, and service mechanical and electrical aspects of wind turbines, testing systems, and associated components.
Principle Responsibilities and Accountability:
- Perform unscheduled, scheduled, and major component maintenance service on the Institute’s wind turbines, met towers, and corresponding Wind R&D Park equipment. Commission, install, troubleshoot and replace wind turbine components as required.
- Promote/demonstrate adherence to safety standards, procedures, practices at all times and communicate safety focus to team members.
- Collect/enter data and assist with analysis of data as necessary;
- Document tasks, complete service and inspection reports;
- Supervise contractors performing installation and maintenance;
- Work with WEICan technical staff and clients to develop and execute wind turbine and test system projects;
- Participate in all aspects of test programs and wind turbine installation:
- Develop project documentation including updating technical drawings
- Specify and purchase equipment as necessary;
- Assemble cabinets as necessary;
- Install electrical and mechanical systems as necessary;
- Work with technical staff and client to commission the turbine and test system;
- Perform routine maintenance, as required, on all site equipment, wind turbines, turbine test systems, met towers, site vehicles, repair to all facility buildings and grounds;
- Fabricate and install anemometer towers with required instrumentation;
- Fabricate and install test data acquisition systems with required instrumentation installed as needed;
- Organize and participate in onsite and offsite wind resource assessment and turbine testing as needed;
- Organize and participate in safety related training and WEICan safety responsibilities, e.g. safety committee, as requested;
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- Organize and supervise student work done in conjunction with WEICan;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Training:
- Graduate of a Wind Turbine Technology Course or equivalent.
- Qualifications as Electrician, Instrumentation or Wind Turbine Maintenance an asset.
- Experience performing service to wind turbines and met towers;
- Experience with turbine test systems, including data acquisition and instrumentation;
- Experience with design and analytical software, e.g. Visio, AutoCAD, Excel;
- Experience with wind turbine test standards, theory and protocols an asset;
- Experience in electrical and mechanical machinery theory, operation and installation;
- Knowledge of electrical controls, PLC controllers and electrical sensors;
- Experience working with lathes, milling machine, power hand tools, electronic test equipment, climbing safety equipment, computers, diesel power generators, power electrical systems, and instrumentation an asset;
- Comfortable climbing.
- Excellent communications skills: interpersonal, listening, oral, written, and presentation;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization.
- The position primarily involves work in a lab/workshop and outdoor wind turbine environment. Field work includes regular climbing of wind turbine towers and wind monitoring towers.
- The position requires intermittent travel. Candidate must be able to hold a passport.
- Candidate must be able to maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- The position requires flexible work hours.