March 26, 2019
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
The Lead Technician role will ensure safe and reliable operation and maintenance of the Antrim wind asset; through application of operating/maintenance standards, procedures and processes that ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. This position exists to develop and implement operations and maintenance strategies up to a 3-month time span. The role will be based at the TransAlta wind farm in Antrim, New Hampshire. The suitable candidate will need to be located within 30 miles drive from the site.
- Ensure optimal performance through daily work scheduling, planning, and implementation of maintenance, service, and repair of wind turbine equipment through the OEM contractors.
- Supporting the daily to three-month business plan in alignment with the Supervisor’s business plan through driving operational performance, achievement of business results and continuous improvement.
- Ensure operational compliance to EHS, NERC, OHSA, etc., plant availability, and cost standards through daily review of work orders for accuracy, completeness, and inventory updates; daily facility metric reporting and accurate record keeping; and monitoring of TZAR report entering and record keeping
- Drive for results in the areas of safety, compliance, plant availability, and cost through providing technical support and assistance to operation technicians; ensuring all routine and preventative maintenance is performed accurately by the site contractor, on time, and of a high quality and documented.
- Support the Supervisor in selecting, developing, and managing high-performance contractors to achieve expected outcomes of the plants. This includes assigning tasks of up to a 3-month deliverable and holding them accountable for delivery.
- Support the Supervisor to ensure contractors are adequately trained, qualified and competent in their roles and compliant with mandatory training.
- Identify and mitigating risk that could negatively impact the agreed to outcomes or business results and identifying and realizing opportunities that could positively impact the agreed to outcomes or business results.
- Establish a collaborative work environment within the team, peers, stakeholders and support groups to ensure issues may be resolved in a professional and productive manner.
- Provide after-hours support (on call) as needed to support the site in close working relationship with the Operations Center and the Supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Technical degree in a related field or the equivalent through experience.
- Associates degree or Certification as a Wind Turbine Technician is well regarded.
- 5 years experience working in the Wind industry with comprehensive knowledge of concepts and principles with Siemens wind turbine technology
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Certificate in climb rescue training highly regarded
- Ability to work around medium- and high-voltage equipment
- Able climb and work at or above 200+ feet in all types of weather including extreme cold and heat for extended periods of time, adhering to strict safety guidelines; training in
- Thorough understanding of the operational aspects of the plant – technical, compliance, and financial
- Experience in plant risk and related mitigation strategies
- Understanding of site contractual obligations, procurement processes, and vendor qualifications
- Demonstrated capability to develop, implement and manage the daily to three-month business plan
- Ability to monitor analyze and forecast operations performance.
- Experience identifying and mitigating risks / realize opportunities.
- In consultation with the Supervisor, support stakeholder relationships and/or needs internally and externally.
- Ability to operate successfully in a multi-tasking environment with changing priorities.
- Identify and implement business and / or productivity improvement initiatives.
- Committed to strive for continuous improvement and demonstrated ability to apply learnings.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring team members.
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board! Please click here to apply.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. This position will require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance.